The Ministry was established by Civil Service (establishment) Instrument 2017, Executive Instrument (E.I.) 28, in line with section 11 of the Civil Service Act 1993, (PNDCL 327) to initiate and formulate aviation policies for the development of the Aviation Industry in Ghana.
A world-class aviation hub within the West African sub-region
MoA exists to ensure the growth and development of Ghana’s Aviation Industry through effective policy formulation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the Sector’s performance.
Section 13 of the Civil Service Act 1993 (PNDCL 327) states the following:
“The Ministry shall:
- Initiate and formulate policies, taking into account the needs and aspirations of the people;
- Undertake development planning in consultation with the National Development Planning Commission
- Co-ordinate, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the performance of the Sector”
Based on the above framework, the Ministry of Aviation performs the following specific functions:
- Formulate and coordinate aviation policies as well as the integration of sector plans, budget and strategies;
- Ensure sector performance management, monitoring and evaluation
- Promote innovation, research and development as well as information management within the sector
- Develop human resource capacity and new technologies for the sector
- Ensure the approval for licensing of Air Transport operations
- Negotiate Bilateral Air Service Agreement with trading partners
- Develop policies to promote and encourage local participation and investment in the Aviation Industry
The sector policy objectives are as follows:
- To develop and provide a sustainable legal and regulatory framework that will encourage and promote Public Private Partnership (PPP) in the provision of Aviation infrastructure and services
- To develop a multi-disciplinary human-resource base and the use of technology that will strengthen the institutional capacity to facilitate the implementation of the Aviation sector programmes and projects
- To ensure safe, secure, efficient, reliable, effective and accessible Aviation system by the provision, expansion and maintenance of Aviation infrastructure and services to make Ghana an Aviation hub in the west Africa sub region
- To review, develop and strengthen the appropriate legal, environmental and regulatory framework that will ensure an efficient Aviation system.